Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Teaching in a Blue State


Let me just say that I don't understand politics. I don't really even want to understand politics. I mean, I know I should take an interest in what is going on in the political world, but every time I try to learn more I just get frustrated. People should just make me King of the World and everything would be fine. Anyways. I know it's Valentine's Day and for all you that are single I'm sorry it's a depressing day, isn't it? For everyone else I hope you're having a good one. Lynnette bought me The Simpson Complete First Season (I know I should already have owned it but I didn't). Nothing says I love you like stupid cartoons. Best gift ever!!

Back to the point. So I'm teaching in a Blue State. Today I was the substitute for a 4th grade class here in Michigan. This is what happened. You see Elementary students get a thing called "Times for Kids" its a news magazine aimed to show kids what's going on in their world. Today's TFK (as the hipsters call it) had an article about gDub's (That's George W. Bush for those that don't speak hipster) State of the Union Address. The students are given an assignment paper that goes with the TFK (hipster) to gaige what they're learning. Today's paper had the students writting a letter to The President in response to his address. This is where it get's interesting. A student comes up to me and says he doesn't want to write the letter. I ask why? and he says "I wanted Gore to win and so I don't like George Bush". He ended up writting the letter and I noticed a few other's with comments like "Please stop spying on us" and "Don't be the President".

I know from the media that a lot of people don't like gDub. But for a kid not to want to write a letter to The President because his guy lost. Isn't this a little much. Is it just that this country is so divided? Or is there more to it. I remember going to the Prime Minister's Office (he's like the "President of Canada" for those that aren't hipsters) when I was in 4th grade and being excited just to be there. I didn't know who my parents voted for or didn't vote for, I was just excited. They gave us this cool book with all these facts about Canada and we got to see all over. I even saw the red phone (I don't know who the red phone calls in Canada but it was there, maybe it's to order Tim Horton's).

Do you think that America is simply too divided? Is it that people actually disagree with everything Bush has ever done, or are they simply upset that they lost? Is politics like sports you hate Tom Brady if you're from Indy just cause he's a Patriot even though I'm sure he's a really nice guy? I mean this is supposed to be a democratic society, they believe in it so much they are forcing other countries to be like them. Yet in a fair "democratic" election a President was chosen "by the people for the people" (or something like that) and half the country hates him. I just don't get it.

All I know for sure is that it made me sad to think an American kid had nothing nice to say to The President of the United States of America. I guess "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". I wonder what kind of letter's Saddam got when he was still dictator?

4 comments:

Ryan Schmitz said...

Good sports analogy Dave, it sounds about right. I think that kids learn so much from their parents and their teachers, and that is why those roles are so important. It is okay to teach our children our values and that we have opinions, but one thing we can't forget, it to teach our children to be respectful, even when we disagree. I’m glad that you are challenging the "bitterness" mentality.

Bryan Burgett said...

Hey Dave,

It’s Bryan Burgett here, (Mr. Burgettsky as the hipsters call me). I’m glad to hear that things seem to be going well for you and Lynette up in my former home state.

I know that when you left, Gannon and Grant were really upset. We all miss you guys very much. I really liked your most recent post. I do think that children pick up on things they hear from their parents and on television concerning political views.

I know that during the Clinton era, when Gannon was little I overheard him say to Grant something about Bill Clinton being an idiot. When I asked him why he said that he said, “well I heard you tell mom that he was an idiot.” It was at that moment that I realized that we as parents had quite an influence on our children’s political views. I did explain to Gannon that although we didn’t share the same views or agree with Bill Clinton in his decision making or lack thereof, he was still our leader and we had to respect him as the President of the United States.

I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I’ve been blogging for a few months now. Feel free to add me to your links list. I’ve already added yours to mine. Give our best to Lynette and the next time you are down here in Marion look us up. The boys would love you see you.

Bryan Burgettsky
Go Red Wings!

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Thank Bryan. I miss you guys too. I miss our Tuesday night hockey games. Stay cool.

_dave

Dave & Lynnette Mason said...

Shevi,

No worries man I understand sarcasm that was one of the problems the church in Traverse had with me apparently "sarcasm is of the devil" I'm still looking for a scripture verse on it though.

_dave