Monday, November 16, 2009

COLTS WIN!!!

So I'm a Colts fan. I've been a Colts fan since I lived in Indiana (I moved to Indiana right about the time Peyton Manning joined the team). And I've been used to watching the Colts get beaten by the Patriots. There have been games that the Colts have won, but it seems the majority of the time we loose to the Patriots. And for some reason loosing to the Patriots is harder than any other loss. So last night as I watched the first 3 Quarters of the Colts/Pats game I started to prepare myself for yet another loss. With a little over 3 minutes left in the game everything changed. The Patriots were up by 6 points and Indy had just driven the entire field to score a touchdown. The Colts defense had not been playing "great" in this game allowing 34 points. So everyone expected Indy to onside kick, after all they could stop Brady anyways. But the Colts did something different they decided to kick to the Patriots. They decided to believe that their defense could hold. Jim Caldwell was saying "I believe in my team". On the next drive the Pats went what appeared to go 3 and out, but then Belichick did something strange. He should have punted and made Peyton Manning drive the ball 70 yards for the win. Instead he went for a first down, on his own 30 yard line, and the win. Pretty much he was saying he didn't think his defense could stop the Colts. He was saying "I DON'T believe in my team". His gamble backfired. The Colts defense held, the Colts scored, the Colts WIN!!!

As I think about this game I will be happy or course because the Colts won (and they beat the evil Patriots). But there may be a lesson learned. Both coaches we shown struggling defense on their teams. Both coaches had choices to make. Both had to answer the question "Do I believe in my team?". One coached believed in his team and one didn't.

It reminds me of how God is with us. Even when we, as the church (his people or "team"), continue to play terrible He continues to believe in us. I am always amazed that God continues to believe in his church. That He continues to use people to accomplish His plan. I don't know what kind of coach I would make, I don't know if I could believe in my team when they are playing poorly. But I know if I was God, I would have stopped believing my me a long time ago. So thank you God for believing in me and GO COLTS!!!

No comments: